Energy Argument Paper
Finding good sources is easy...once you know what you're looking for!
There are steps to the research process just like with the writing process.
- Explore - It's really hard to write a paper on a subject you know nothing about. You need some basic background info to get started. This is the part of the process where you Google the heck out of the subject.
- Identify - Now take what you've learned from your "pre-research" and form your thesis statement. Work with your teacher to get a thesis that's not too broad or too narrow, otherwise you'll have a hard time finding good resources.
- Gather - This is where the "real" research starts. Now that you have your topic you need to start collecting sources, taking notes and citing your sources in NoodleTools.
- Create - This is where you do your thing! Write your paper, create your poster, put together your slide show...
- Share - Now share what you've learned! You're doing this not only for yourself but to share that knowledge with others and hopefully make an impact in some way.
Where do I start!?
Background knowledge. You need it. These two sites are a good place to start. REMEMBER, you can't use Wikipedia as a source for your paper but you can use it for pre-research and to get ideas for other sources (from the citations at the bottom of the articles).
Now you need to work with your teacher to develop your thesis statement. Having a topic or claim that is too broad will overwhelm you with information and your paper will end up being an info dump of facts. Too narrow or specific a claim or topic and you're going to have a hard time finding enough sources to back up your ideas. This is why the pre-research is so important, it will give you a rough idea of what's out there for information and help you craft the "just right" thesis statement.
Ready to Research
Now that you have your thesis statement you can get started on the nitty gritty research. Use the databases available to you here on the library website to start. All these sources have already been checked for you so you know they're not CRAAP! Here are a few good ones to get you started: